Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Hitting the marks

1/640 sec @ f5.6, ISO 100, 17mm (zoom), Canon 20D

St Malo has something of a sweeping vista from the shoreline of the old town, which this shot tries to capture, helped by the light from a morning sun.

In line with some of the exercises in the OCA course, I took a number of shots from this position; horizon high, low and in between; island filling the frame and so on. This best expressed the location, I felt. I liked the contrast in colours between the brown of the island against the blue of everything else. I also liked the clouds, in particular the sweeping one in the middle which arcs around the island, though it might have been nicer if it had been better defined against the blue sky towards the horizon. Still, horizon not in the middle, island on a third, oh my :-)

There is some slight barrel distortion of the horizon that would need to be addressed I think.